Director of Development
Poynter seeks a Director of Development to lead our work engaging individuals who care about journalism in democracy and sharing with them the important work of the Poynter Institute.
The Director of Development creates and executes a strategy for securing gifts for Poynter from individual donors and family foundations. The Director of Development will assist the executive team with managing the Poynter Foundation Board and cultivating and stewarding major gifts. Job responsibilities include identifying new donors and deepening the engagement of existing donors through personal outreach, campaigns, and public and private events in Tampa Bay and in cities across the country.
We're looking for someone who will:
- Implement a donor development plan for new and existing donors, incorporating email, phone calls, personal visits, online giving, events and other means to reach fundraising goals.
- Lead the execution of brand-building and fundraising events, including donor dinners, community conversations and the fundraising gala, the Bowtie Ball.
- Ensure donors are thanked and acknowledged.
- Assist the executive team in the creation of a development strategy and setting fundraising goals.
- Serve as the regular point of contact for the Poynter Foundation Board, the institute’s fundraising board. You'll work with the executive team to plan meetings, to follow up with board members on their giving commitments and find ways to engage them and those they introduce to us in the work and life of Poynter.
- Oversee the administration and operation of the donor database as a tool to manage the fundraising process.
- Ensure the development program is in compliance with current regulations, and tax laws governing charitable gift accounting administration and fundraising ethical standards.
You'll report to the Director of Advancement & Business Development and work closely with our leadership team, who are committed to fundraising success. You'll also work closely with our marketing team, key allies in your work.
The Director of Development oversees database coordination and Foundation volunteers, including the Foundation Board, for events and major gift solicitation. He/she sets standards of performance, organizes programs, establishes objectives, shapes and interprets policy and sees that policies are carried out.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS: Bachelor’s degree required. Eight years of progressively responsible work experience as an advancement professional; demonstrated successful experience in developing and managing comprehensive fundraising programs, including direct personal involvement in major gift solicitation and capital campaigns, including use of a donor database. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills; written and oral communication skills appropriate to interaction with key volunteers, administrators and donors. Working knowledge of legal and tax implications of soliciting, giving, accepting, and accounting for charitable gifts. Strong organizational skills sufficient to handle many complex projects, details, and deadlines simultaneously. Proficient with commonly used office software and development software.
No phone calls, please.
Position is in beautiful St. Petersburg, FL, with offices overlooking Tampa Bay and the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.
Salary depends on qualifications.
Send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: March 7, 2019
Start date for this position is April 2019.
More search results
Director of Career Services (Student Career Progr…
Distinguished Lecturer - Audio - Craig Newmark Gr…
Partner, Philanthropy (Chief Philanthropy Officer)
American Journalism Project (AJP)
Public Television 19
Data Journalist / Digital Specialist
APM Research Lab, American Public Media