Do you want to teach young people journalism skills? Do you love fact-checking content online? Creating original stories for social media? Traveling around the country presenting to hundreds of people? Then you’d be a great fit for The Poynter Institute’s MediaWise team!
The non-profit MediaWise project is funded by Google.org and part of the Google News Initiative. Our goal is to teach 1 million teenagers across America how to sort fact from fiction online by 2020. We are looking for strong journalists to teach the next generation fact-checking skills they can use on their own to become more discerning content consumers. You will teach thousands of teenagers at events nationwide as well as create social media content teaching MediaWise skills and promoting our cause.
This is an incredibly unique opportunity that’s part journalism, part digital and news literacy, and part advocacy. Join us!
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is a digital journalist and a strong reporter with a passion for accuracy and fact-checking
- 2-3 years experience working in a newsroom (on-camera experience is a plus)
- Has experience creating videos and graphics for social media
- Has taught or coached young journalists, or wants to
- Wants to travel across the country
- Is excited to help build a national campaign to promote digital literacy working directly with platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook
- Is comfortable working under startup-like conditions: flexible and comfortable adjusting to a program that is evolving along with the ever-changing and weird world of misinformation and disinformation online
Job duties include:
- Writing, producing and editing original content for all major social media platforms including video, graphics and copy
- Teaching/training middle school and high school students at in-person events, sometimes to crowds in the hundreds
- Working with your teammates to run our growing network of teen fact-checkers
- Occasional on-camera reporting and hosting of social videos or other news videos
This is a one-year position based at Poynter’s offices in St. Petersburg, Florida, with potential for renewal. You’ll be steps away from some of the most respected journalism teachers in the world and you’ll be working alongside Poynter’s PolitiFact and International Fact-Checking Network staffs.
Remote applications will also be considered for the right employee.
Want to build this with us? Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Deadline to apply: April 15, 2019
Start date for this position is ASAP.