Senior Editor, Copy
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an experienced copy editor to ensure a high standard of copy-editing and fact-checking for our digital and print products, preparing news, feature, advice, and opinion stories for our online and print platforms. You’ll write compelling headlines, captions, and other flourishes, as well as web-produce articles for our website.
Primarily, you will:
- Fact-check and copy-edit all Chronicle copy – stories, videos, charts, etc. – for accuracy, logic, grammar, style, spelling, rhythm, and grace.
- Write captivating headlines, social-media promos, captions, summaries, and other elements to draw readers in.
- Assemble and web-produce online stories.
- Edit html to embed (for example) tweets, tables, videos, and source documents.
- Edit tables and charts in various software.
- Proof stories and collaborate with others on necessary changes.
- Participate in broad discussions about story topics, editorial style, and direction.
- Be available to work nights and weekends as needed.
The preferred candidate will have at least five years of copy-editing experience at general-interest or trade publications. You’ll need excellent editing and writing skills; solid news judgment; knowledge of grammar, punctuation, style, and story construction; and an eagerness to collaborate with others. A familiarity with higher-education issues, and with New York Times style, is not essential but a plus.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
More search results
Assistant Professional Practice Professor/KOMU Di…
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI COLUMBIA
OPB seeks Science Reporter/Content Producer
City Government Reporter
Capital City Press
Digital and Audience Engagement Editor
Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard
Copy of Associate Professor or Professor of the P…