The Poynter Institute is looking for a detail oriented, truth-seeking, thoughtful administrative assistant to support the work of the new Craig Newmark Center for Ethics and Leadership, as well as other Institute endeavors.
You’ll support an executive who works with many of the nation’s top media outlets, writes and travels extensively. You’ll be part of a team that is sorting out some of the most sensitive and thorny issues facing journalists. You should be organized, discreet and excited about the mission of journalism as an essential component of democracy.
- Coordinate the annual Ethics Fellow application and selection process
- Manage teaching and thought leadership events for Ethics and Leadership
- Provide timely communication
- Manage the schedule and priorities of the Ethics Center Chair
- Manage the email inbox of Ethics Center Chair and the general information inbox for the center.
- Sit in on phone calls and ensure follow up tasks are properly assigned.
- Receive in-person guests for the Institute
Here are some skills you must have, or be able to learn very fast:
- Gmail master - You’ll be managing at least two high-volume mail accounts in addition to your own.
- Google calendar - Make the good meetings happen and keep the bad ones off the calendar.
- Powerpoint and/or Keynote - When we teach, we use slides and those have to look good.
- Word and Excel - You’ll need to know how to use this software to do the work.
- Clean and clear writing -You’ll be representing a journalism school, the grammar has to be A-level and above all, you must be able to clearly communicate with appropriate tone.
- Event coordination - We’ll be doing a range of small and large events, on site and in other cities. You will be part of the Poynter team that puts on these events.
- Work at a desk in an office
- Travel occasionally
- Work with people from different cultures
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: May 17, 2019
No phone calls, please.
Position is in St. Petersburg, FL.
Salary depends on qualifications.