Editor in Chief
YES! Media is expanding its editorial leadership team and seeks an experienced editor who is passionate about the catalytic role of nonprofit solutions journalism in creating positive change in the world. The Editor in Chief will lead our editorial team in producing quality journalism that engages and inspires readers daily online and in a quarterly print magazine, playing a major role in significantly expanding the content, reach, and impact of YES! over the next five years.
Our readers count on YES! for inspiration, understanding, connection, and hope. This is a rare opportunity to take a leadership role in creating journalism that builds a better world. You may be the leader we’re looking for if you:
- are excited to advance the leading edges of solutions journalism, including reader engagement and representative voices;
- have a knack for recognizing solutions that address the root causes of societal problems and shift power from the few to the many;
- are a collaborative team leader, ready to build a diverse team of dedicated professionals; and
- are curious, creative, and always integrating new learning into your thinking and approach.
This position reports to the Executive Director; oversees a team of 11 editors and reporters and dozens of freelance writers, designers, and other contributors; and is a member of the organization’s leadership team.
Guide editorial content for all platforms to meet high standards of journalistic excellence:
- On a daily basis, produce rigorous solutions reporting on the positive ways communities are responding to social problems; insightful commentary that sparks constructive discourse necessary for social change; explanatory journalism that analyzes societal problems in terms of their root causes and explores opportunities for cultural shift; and stories that uncover environmental, economic, and racial justice intersections.
- Guide coverage strategy, including assignment and distribution of beats, responding to news of the day with relevant articles and ensuring diverse voices.
- With the Creative Director and editors, produce four powerful digital/print magazines a year.
- With the Managing Editor, develop and manage the annual editorial budget, ensure training and professional development of editors, use analytics and tracking systems to improve content quality and audience engagement, protect the legal standing of YES! in libel and copyright issues, and inform grant proposals and reports.
- Supervise editorial staff by providing clearly defined responsibilities and feedback.
- Participate in the production process as needed, including evaluating pitches, assigning, editing, and writing.
Support strategic development to maximize reach, audience engagement, and impact:
- Cultivate and consult editorial advisers and contributors on topic areas, trends, thought leadership, and evaluation of content.
- Engage readers for story sharing, feedback, ideas, and sources.
- In collaboration with the Creative Director, engage nontraditional readers through creative storytelling, including photo essays, comics, infographics data reporting, and audio and video content.
- Support new product development initiatives and partnerships.
Expand the influence of YES! Media:
- Attend and speak at conferences that solidify YES! Media’s position in the solutions, independent, and nonprofit journalism spaces.
- Meet with journalists, book authors, and social change and movement sources.
- Support outreach initiatives and events that expand readership, loyalty, and donor support; meet with major donors and foundation representatives as needed.
Participate in leadership of the organization as a member of the Coordination Team:
- Help guide the strategic direction of the organization.
- Ensure overall organizational health and effectiveness in terms of finances, influence, sales, fundraising, and personnel policies and satisfaction.
- Communicate about editorial strategy and impact with the YES! Board of Directors.
- Support our core operating values of courage, ingenuity, integrity, diversity, and excellence.
In addition to excitement for the YES! mission, qualified applicants should have:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in journalism, particularly the independent, nonprofit news media space and/or solutions journalism.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in journalism leadership positions, managing editors and other professionals in a collaborative environment, meeting budgets and deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking experience.
- An understanding of and curiosity about the economic, racial, social, ecological, and political dynamics of our times; patterns of transformative change; and the roles of individuals, communities, institutions, activism, and culture shift in social change.
- Understanding and enthusiasm for the key values of the organization—collaboration, community, compassion—and how they manifest, including environmental responsibility, civic participation, anti-oppression/anti-racism work, bridge-building, and appreciative inquiry.
- Knowledge of media law and journalism ethics.
- Experience with nonprofit media funding models, audience/donor engagement, social media engagement and outreach strategies.
- Understanding of print production, from theme development to press production.
- B.A. degree or above in journalism, communications, the humanities, or other relevant field.
- Network of relationships with potentially influential sources and contributors or media partnerships.
- Experience building diversity in newsrooms.
- A social media native. Lives there, on all the platforms. Loves it.
- Magazine junky. Reads them all. Loves them.
- Facility with Google Analytics, Chartbeat, or similar metrics tools, Adobe Creative Suite software, Microsoft 365 and Sharepoint tools, WordPress, collaboration tools such as Slack and Zoom.
- Affiliation with any of the following journalism groups: SPJ, ONA, SJN, NABJ, NAHJ, NAJA, AAJA
YES! Media is a nonprofit, independent publisher of solutions journalism. Through rigorous reporting on the positive ways communities are responding to social problems and insightful commentary that sparks constructive discourse, YES! Media inspires people to build a just and sustainable world. Founded in 1996, we helped pioneer the modern solutions journalism movement, covering the communities, ideas, and initiatives working to build a better world. YES! is reader-supported, nonpartisan, and governed by a board of directors made up of journalists, thought leaders, and community activists. We publish stories daily online and quarterly in a print and digital magazine. In 2017, YES! had 5 million unique online visitors, 40K+ subscriber households, and 8K+ donors.
This position will be based at the YES! office in Pioneer Square in Seattle, Washington, with part-time remote working options and occasional travel required.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $95K to $115K per year, depending on experience. Excellent benefits, including fully paid medical, dental, disability, and vision insurance; generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave; and retirement contribution.
How to Apply: Please send an email to email@example.com with "Editor in Chief" in the subject line, with a cover letter and resume in a single attached pdf. No paper applications or phone calls, please. Application deadline is February 28, 2019.
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative-action employer. YES! does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, military or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information.
People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.
YES! is strongly committed to building a staff that represents the diversity of communities we write about.
More search results
Assistant Professional Practice Professor
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI COLUMBIA
Visual Journalism Editor
Cascade Public Media
OPB seeks Breaking News/General Assignment Report…
Oregon Public Broadcasting
Abrams Digital Video Fellow (Digital Editor)
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc.