Knight Chair in Audience and Community Engagement for News(Professor of the Practice)
The William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Kansas seeks applicants for the Knight Chair in Audience and Community Engagement for News, an endowed chair carrying the title of full Professor of the Practice.
We seek an experienced and innovative media professional with demonstrated commitments to understanding and engaging audiences. The successful candidate will be able to create approaches to connecting media and audiences, inspire solutions to such issues as media deserts and information inequality, and develop community engagement in an ever-changing media world. We encourage the application of candidates who share our vision of communities as more than places on a map. We also welcome a colleague with visions of audience engagement that create sustainable economic models.
The Knight Chair in Audience and Community Engagement for News will be a leader in helping media connect with various audiences and will have a keen understanding of emerging trends and demographics related to media use in various markets. The successful candidates also will understand impact metrics, the developing role of public/private partnerships to maintain expertise in the newsroom, and be curious about future collaborations in news gathering and dissemination with students, professionals and the public.
The university aspires to become a leader among its peer institutions in making meaningful and lasting progress in responding to the needs and concerns of minoritized and marginalized demographic groups
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and energetic contributor in the classroom and to the School’s outreach and Journalism services, and will serve as a liaison to local, state and national media and professional organizations.
The successful applicant must have appropriate work authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
Initial appointment for this position will be for a fixed term not to exceed a period of three years. Subsequent appointments may be offered based on a comprehensive review in the third year of the appointment. This position does not lead to tenure or a tenure-track position.
Job Description :
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses focusing on community journalism, emphasizing common community purpose in the digital media world, and exploring new practices in sharing information.
- Teach in other areas of journalism in the undergraduate and graduate programs to meet the needs of the School.
- Perform creative work and service that enhances teaching, contributes to excellence in professional practice and in education, and enlightens the public about the role and significance of journalism and mass communications.
- Coordinate the Montgomery Symposium, an annual workshop for regional media professionals.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Required Qualifications :
- Master’s degree in journalism, mass communication, English, advertising, public relations or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience in professional journalism including significant management responsibility
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering community and creating diversity in a professional media environment
- Demonstrated experience in working with audience-related data
- Evidence of work in community engagement and news
Preferred Qualifications :
- Teaching experience at the University level
- Terminal degree in journalism or related field
- Success in fundraising for special projects
For more information, and to apply, go to http://employment.ku.edu/jobs/14370BR. Please attach a resume, a cover letter addressing how you meet or exceed the required and preferred qualifications and a list of three professional references to the online application. First consideration will be given to complete applications received by the June 1, 2019 review date. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KU is an EO/AAE, full policy http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination.
More search results
Graphics & Data Editor, RFE/RL’s Central Newsroom
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc.
Director of Research, Donald W. Reynolds Journali…
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI COLUMBIA
Reporter, Current (15922)
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio
Ad Agency Copywriter
Image Makers Advertising, Inc.