Research Assistant, Fact Tank
- Pew Research Center
- Washington, Dist. Columbia, United States, 20063
Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center's work is carried out by a staff of about 160.
The Research Assistant provides research support to Fact Tank staff, including data analysis, fact checking and number checking. The Research Assistant will assist in the day-to-day production of Fact Tank, Pew Research Center's data journalism blog by ensuring all analysis published on the blog meets the Center's rigorous standards for accuracy and impartiality. The role also includes writing posts for Fact Tank assisting in production of the weekly newsletter. He/she will work closely with researchers, writers and editors, graphic artists, front- and back-end web developers, communications and IT staff to package content and develop innovative new online products that feature the Center's diverse body of research. Candidates with more extensive experience or exceptionally strong qualifications may be considered for appointment at the Research Analyst level. This position reports to the Senior Editor.
- Performs long-term and quick-turnaround research assignments, including searching and summarizing polling data, number checking survey toplines, fact checking publications, finding and summarizing existing research, and finding particular facts and documents.
- Writes posts for the blogs on subject matter of interest to Pew Research Center based on its survey data or analysis of outside data sources.
- Assists with production of daily content for Pew Research's Fact Tank blog in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Assists with production of Pew Research Center's weekly newsletter as needed.
- Tracks developments and trends in relevant issue areas and helps maintain files and calendar of upcoming dates in the news, such as anniversaries, elections, events, etc., related to the Pew Research Center's work.
- Creates tables and charts in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Demonstrated interest in the topics Pew Research Center studies.
- A “numbers person” with strong quantitative and statistical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to meet daily deadlines and turn around production of new content quickly.
- Detail oriented and ability to maintain accuracy and impartiality in all work products.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to balance numerous tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Familiarity with commonly-used data tools like R, Stata, SPSS and Wincross is a plus, but not required
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Background in data management and analysis required.
- Experience with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with SPSS or other statistical software.
- Background in Journalism or Social Science preferred.
- Experience with web publishing systems (Wordpress).
- Experience with branded social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc.).
A complete application will include resume, cover letter, and a sample of your writing.
The Pew Research Center is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
More search results
Step Up For Students
Associate or Full Professor (tenured) Department …
Temple University Journalism dept.
Assistant or Associate Professor of Practice (NTT…
Temple University Journalism dept.
Dean, College of Journalism and Mass Communicatio…
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio