DIRECTOR AND PROFESSOR OF PRACTICE
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, a national leader in digital media education, seeks to hire a Director and Professor of Practice to lead the Los Angeles bureau of Cronkite News.
The director will work with a team of student reporters who produce news and sports content for digital and broadcast platforms. Content will appear on commercial digital media outlets across the country, as well as Cronkite News, the news division of Arizona PBS, and professional partners such as the Pac-12 Networks and Fox Sports West.
The bureau director will join the award-winning faculty who direct Cronkite School professional programs, including former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr., former BET Vice President Retha Hill, Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter and editor Jacquee Petchel, Pulitzer Prize-winning data editor Sarah Cohen, Emmy-award winning news anchor Vanessa Ruiz, and former Knight Foundation journalism innovator Eric Newton.
The Cronkite News Los Angeles bureau is one of more than a dozen immersive professional experiences at the Cronkite School that reflect the school’s “teaching hospital” approach to education. Students engage at least two full days a week in programs that include a nightly television newscast distributed on Arizona PBS, an innovation and entrepreneurship lab where students create new digital products and services, news reporting bureaus in Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles, and a Spanish-language bureau where students report and produce news content across media platforms for Spanish-speaking audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading, editing, teaching and mentoring upper-level undergraduate and graduate journalism students in a daily news environment in the nation’s second-largest media market;
- Leading students in the hands-on creation of digital and broadcast content;
- Establishing the Los Angeles bureau as a leading source of news and sports information in Southern California;
- Working with other professional program directors at the Cronkite School to plan, manage and produce innovative and professional news and sports content;
- Driving experimentation and teaching new tools and technologies that enhance digital and broadcast storytelling,
- Performing other faculty responsibilities, such as committee assignments and student recruitment, as assigned.
This appointment holds the faculty rank of Professor of Practice.
- Five years of major-market regional or national experience planning, editing and producing broadcast and/or digital content.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Exceptional storytelling skills that integrate text, video, photo, graphics and data.
- Experience leading teams of reporters and/or producers.
- Familiarity in social media promotion and distribution and web metrics and SEO.
- Experience guiding student or beginning reporters.
Application deadline: Friday, Mar. 22, 2019; or if not filled, every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed.
Application procedure: Materials must include: 1) a resume, 2) cover letter, 3) web-based samples of work created or produced, and 4) names, titles, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references.
Submit materials via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Mark Lodato, Associate Dean
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
555 N. Central Avenue, Suite 302 Phoenix, AZ 85004
The Cronkite School
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is one of the nation’s premier professional journalism programs and is home to Arizona PBS, the largest media outlet operated by a journalism school in the world. The school’s mission to is to prepare the next generation of journalists and communications professionals while also taking responsibility for the fundamental news and information needs of the community. The school is located on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix Campus in the heart of the nation’s 11th largest media market.
More search results
American Dog Magazine ~ Bedford Dog, LLC
Knight Chair in Audience and Community Engagement…
University of Kansas - School of Journalism
Partner, Civic News Organization Success
American Journalism Project (AJP)
Senior Editor, Quanta Magazine
Senior WordPress Developer