Managing Editor (1161)
Location: Dallas, TX
Position: Full time / Exempt
We’re looking for a dynamic leader to link local, regional and national news efforts on radio and digital platforms. The Managing Editor leads implementation of the regional coverage strategy, expanding a Texas news collaboration that covers stories in urgent and enterprising ways. In consultation with station and other leaders, the Managing Editor will define the editorial vision and develop the strategy for executing it.
The Managing Editor is responsible for setting daily and long-term coverage priorities for statewide newscasts, radio reports and digital content. This editor will make decisions about the resources needed for major breaking news. They will work in concert with stations and the network to execute. The Managing Editor will enforce editorial and ethical standards for content. The Managing Editor is the principal contact for station leaders and for others, and will develop daily, weekly and long-term communication structures. The Managing Editor will integrate metrics into all activities. The Managing Editor will develop and share best practices.
- Develop the editorial vision, to include statewide newscasts, feature stories, digital and enterprise journalism. Partner with stations to articulate the goals and desired outcomes for a Texas newsroom.
- Serve as central point of contact for editorial leaders at the stations. Ensure that communication occurs in a 360-degree view, so that station priorities are communicated to applicable company and vice versa. Resolve conflicts with focus on audience needs rather than internal wants.
- Oversee development and expansion of statewide newscasts.
- Supervise all staff. Direct daily work, assigning tasks and deploying staff as necessary. Coach staff in developing professional skills and create long-term improvement plans. Write performance evaluations. Lead and inspire.
- Create, update and ensure implementation of a breaking news response plan for stories of statewide and national interest. Assist stations in developing local breaking news plans that dovetail with the statewide plan.
- Conduct regular check-ins with editors at the four managing stations.
- Implement a communication process for everything from daily logistics to long-term planning, using one-to-one calls, conference calls, interactive collaboration tools (Slack, etc.).
- Oversee story planning for the short-term (daily news), middle-term (features) and long-term (projects) on radio and digital platforms. Ensure processes are inclusive and that desired outcomes are broadly shared. Enforce deadlines.
- Define best practices for production of on-air and digital content, with an audience-first mindset. Provide regular feedback on story execution, identifying strengths and areas for improvement.
- Strengthen digital journalism capacity, defining digital responsibilities for each member of the staff and integrating digital production into the daily workflow. Build visual storytelling capacity.
- Perform hands-on editing as needed. Edit/review controversial or sensitive content. Edit/review enterprise and investigative stories.
- Conduct regular station visits and schedule station visits for other staff members. Identify training opportunities for local reporters and lead planning and execution.
- Develop an ongoing statewide training program.
- Strong leadership skills as demonstrated by at least three years in a supervisory and/or management position.
- Strategic thinker with project-management experience.
- Record of excellent communication in person and in remote situations.
- Proven journalism skills that include reporting, producing, editing.
- Understanding of both on-air and digital journalism production; experience in both platforms preferred.
- Dedication to diversity in sourcing, topics and approaches is a must.
- Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
- Report from and work in the field as assigned.
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free online copy quickly in breaking news situations.
- Strong content editing/proofreading abilities, including knowledge of AP style.
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to work with others to put together detailed, easy-to-understand plans.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about online journalism and local news opportunities in Texas.
- Dedication to diversity a must.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field or equivalent required; media or journalism degree preferred.
- Experience working in collaborative organizations.
- Experience working in public media.
- Experience developing new products.
- Deep knowledge of Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events.
- Fluent in multiple languages. Spanish-language skills are a plus.
***Position may be eligible for relocation.
To apply for this position, click on the following link: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/job/361f8ed3