The Managing Producer will play a key role in the management and oversight of the school production project. They will be responsible for the logistical and elemental implementation and execution for the school productions, as well as play a role in molding the content execution from the SEC schools. They will provide feedback and mentoring to the schools on a regular basis, and will play an influential role in the management of the SEC school production project.
- Takes direction from the SEC School Production project leadership team.
- Works with the Sr. Managing Producer on the "School Production Project" to plan linear and digital productions.
- Act as a liaison between the SEC School Production facilities and ESPN to ensure both sides are exchanging content and maximizing the resources available at all times.
- Develop and implement plans for increased use of university production facilities in order to support an efficient business model on the linear and digital networks.
- Evaluate the logistical and technical needs of each university production facility and provide feedback to ESPN management on the growth and development at each school.
- Develop and grow production standards for digital and linear event productions at each school to create uniformity in quality across the network.
- Set expectations for editorial content across university productions to meet the needs of the network and cater to the strength of each schools' facility and personnel.
- Observe and provide on-site feedback to individual production teams in an effort to improve digital product and grow the scope of linear productions.
- Review productions and provide feedback to the production leads at the 14 SEC schools on an occasional basis.
- Recruit, evaluate, and cultivate talent at the 14 SEC schools in order to create depth on both the linear and digital broadcasts.
- Interfaces as required with leagues/teams/schools/coaches
- Implements new ideas for assigned events and may determine the look and feel of assigned telecast
- Determines the technical needs of each assigned sport/event; oversees and controls the flow of production assets for assigned sports productions
- Manages the development of concepts and content for assigned telecast to reach viewers and to increase ESPN and the SEC Network's market penetration, ratings, and viewership.
- Uses mastery of sports knowledge and news judgment to determine the agenda, concepts, and content of assigned remote telecasts
- Evaluates, organizes and coordinates the distribution of elements, ensuring efficient delivery to all school partners
- Coordinates the logistics and distribution of production related equipment including backdrops, mic flags, shirts
- Helps manage school-based websites
- Helps manage school-based requests
- Coordinates production calls between production and our school partners
- Typically has 5+ years of progressively complex related remote or related sports production experience
- Has knowledge and experience with ESPN media asset workflow and the content request process.
- Has knowledge of real-time sporting event production, graphics and video editing
- Has and applies knowledge of what story ideas and concepts to use for assigned events
- Has a strong appreciation of popular culture, e.g., "what's cool" and assists with defining the tastes of ESPN's viewers
- Has an in-depth understanding of ESPN's market positioning and strategies
- Has an in-depth knowledge of sports and sports history and keeps current on changes and trends in the sports and television industry
- Global understanding of live sports production execution, and the ability to impart that experience and wisdom on others in a positive and constructive way.
- Knowledge and experience in school production facilities preferred.
- Must be adaptable to changing work locations and facilities
- Frequent and sometimes lengthy travel required
- Prior personnel management experience needed
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Media, Journalism, or related fields.
Must work nights/weekends/holidays