We're looking for the right combination of distinctive vision, editorial judgment, creative writing/storytelling skills, knowledge of and experience in the podcasting industry, and high emotional intelligence. The Senior Editorial Producer is someone who challenges the status quo. You will have both the ability to establish a vision for the program and evangelize that vision to others. You excel at pushing beyond what others think is possible.
The Senior Editorial Producer will develop, launch and oversee the editorial and production of the flagship ESPN Daily Podcast. Top candidates for this role will demonstrate curiosity, a strong work ethic, exceptional journalistic instincts, a thorough knowledge of sports, creative production technique, and dynamic team-management skills. The role requires an editorial and production leader with a creative and inclusive approach to storytelling who can shape the vision and execution of an ambitious new daily sports podcast. The ideal candidate is a talented writer/storyteller who has a proven track record for developing talent, producing high-quality narrative content, launching new initiatives, reaching new audiences, innovation, problem-solving and has extensive experience working in a deadline-oriented environment. He/she will develop an efficient daily workflow/process, the short and long-range content strategy, and sales integrations at the episode, title, and podcast vertical levels. The Senior Editorial Producer will communicate expectations and deliver feedback to talent and staff. He/she will oversee and manage direct reports. Responsibilities include related strategic plans, operational tasks and assignments.
The new daily podcast will explain sports in a brand new way, going deeper into the stories of the moment, providing exclusive access to ESPN's award-winning reporting team on the front lines covering sports, ranging from our top insiders to our best storytellers and most relevant voices. More narrative than news, this new podcast brings fans the biggest stories in sports everyday as told by the best sports journalists and storytellers on the planet. Sports has never sounded better.
- Leads editorial planning of five-day a week sports feature podcast, including theme/topic selection, defining program elements, and selection/booking of contributors and guests.
- Articulates vision and sets agenda for short and long-range editorial calendar and planning.
- Drives the creative conception and development of editorial content from ideation to execution.
- Proposes, greenlights, assigns and participates in the development and editing of daily stories and features produced by staff, host and reporters.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders, producers, editors and storytellers across ESPN teams to ensure the depth and breadth of ESPN reporting and storytelling is represented in the program.
- Monitors ESPN content, national and regional sports news, websites, newspapers, publications, mail, email, pitches and newswires for story ideas, developments and background.
- Reports, produces and creates exceptional quality program segments and episodes that are consistent with the content, quality and production standards and practices of ESPN. Understands and executes ESPN content priorities in planning show rundowns and integrating with other ESPN platforms.
- "Thinks deep" by producing enterprising sports-related stories and features that go beyond the headlines and typical sports reporting.
- Conducts daily and weekly editorial meetings and maintains editorial workflow systems, both within the team and within ESPN.
- Develops relationships throughout ESPN with other key stakeholders and divisions.
- Ensures highest-quality production standards.
- Ensures journalistic and legal standards are followed on all episodes, as well as standards of fairness, objectivity and balance.
- Reviews content, quality and production of program segments to ensure consistency with the same standards and practices.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of relevant sports stories and newsmakers; books relevant guests for program appearances accordingly.
- Collaborates on budget development and implements approved budget for program, making changes as necessary to meet financial goals.
- Cultivates relationships with prospective talent and partners.
- Assists in the recruitment and development of production and editorial talent.
- Provides creative and editorial guidelines to hosts and guests to enrich the quality of programming.
- Works with host and producers on interview questions, strategy and techniques.
- Coaches host, reporters, producers and editors to strengthen conversational storytelling skills.
- Coordinates aspects of production, post-production, and program distribution.
- Supervises the compiling and editing of production materials necessary for all relevant platforms. Works with colleagues engaged in similar productions in the development of compelling cross-promotional content. Ensures that the productions follow format and procedural guidelines; supervises and tracks all sales executions and promotions.
- Works with sales and marketing teams to develop strategies for the podcast, as well as ensuring placement and execution of commercials and relevant promotional announcements at the episode level.
- Contributes ideas for sales opportunities.
- Coordinates with marketing team around key events, from planning to execution of regular promotion for the show on internal platforms (TV/Radio) as well as with external distribution partners (Apple, Google, etc).
- Leverages data/analytics/user testing to inform decisions. Demonstrates strong understanding of production principles designed to drive audio consumption across various platforms including but not limited to podcast downloads. Some titles will be presented on social media, smart speakers or digital video and will have similar expected metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 6 years of radio/audio production with experience as editorial leader and creative writer / storyteller / producer.
- Deep passion and knowledge in a wide range of subject areas related to sports.
- Extensive knowledge of podcasting and digital audio industry.
- Strong familiarity with ESPN content across all platforms.
- Experience in team management.
- Curiosity; interest in sports and beyond.
- Smart conversationalist with outstanding interview skills.
- Strong journalistic and editorial instincts; exceptional writing ability.
- Thorough understanding of how to operate audio hardware, software and facilities.
- Demonstrated digital editing expertise using ProTools audio editing software.
- Strong skills in the area of social media/listener engagement.
- Knowledge and/or understanding of digital listening trends.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thrives in team setting.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor's Degree
More search results
Assistant Professional Practice Professor/KOMU Di…
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI COLUMBIA
OPB seeks Science Reporter/Content Producer
City Government Reporter
Capital City Press
Digital and Audience Engagement Editor
Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard
Copy of Associate Professor or Professor of the P…