NLA CEO SEARCH
The News Leaders Association is recruiting a Chief Executive Officer to lead the pre-eminent journalism leadership organization in North America.
We are searching for a dynamic CEO with vision, enthusiasm and sense of mission to direct a national organization equipped to help journalists develop the skills necessary to lead now and into the future, and to be a national leader in fighting for journalistic principles.
Our work today is critically important. Our mission is to foster and develop the highest standards of trustworthy, truth-seeking journalism; to advocate for open, honest and transparent government; to fight for free speech and an independent press; to nurture the next generation of news leaders committed to spreading knowledge that informs democracy.
Relentless demands on journalists running newsrooms are greater than ever. We want to be a guidepost to provide the training, mentorship, connections and talent development. The CEO will be the public face of our organization and represent us at conferences and news programs, testify on First Amendment matters and lead fundraising efforts.
Our ideal CEO possesses:
- Proven track record of non-profit achievement, journalistic success and C-suite leadership.
- Commitment to the highest standards of ethics and journalistic rigor.
- Ability to lead best practices as the news industry changes.
- Skills to mentor, coach, network and build relationships within the industry and outside.
- Enthusiasm as a fundraiser and the ability to actively seek partners beyond our traditional financial supporters.
- History of supporting diversity and inclusion initiatives at all levels.
- Experience appearing on public affairs and media programs, representing organizations at events, networking with public officials and lawmakers, presiding at town halls and more.
- Experience managing finances, with a preference in non-profit operations.
- Tech-savvy and awareness changing technologies and how they impact journalism.
- Clear communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to be urgent and purposeful in the use of her/his time.
The Chief Executive Officer reports to the volunteer Board of Directors and will help set the direction and vision for NLA. She/he is responsible for the strategic direction of the organization, building sustainability, fundraising.
She/he helps run the daily operation, maintain our financial budget, and will diligently work to build our surpluses. She/he will work closely with the NLA President and Board Officers to set the vision and growth strategy, and to develop strategic partnerships.
Compensation package: To be negotiated: Benefits package includes, vacation, health care, etc.
The position will be based in the Washington DC-area.
An NLA search committee will begin reviewing applications starting Aug. 15.
What we need:
- Cover letter detailing your interest.
- Updated resume, link to your website, LinkedIn.
- Concise, single-spaced memo that explains your strategic vision, why you are the innovative leader prepared to direct and grow The News Leaders Association.
- Three references.
Please email your package to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sept. 15, 2019.