NHPR is seeking a curious, innovative and thoughtful reporter to join our newsroom and cover Southern New Hampshire. The reporter will report from and live in the region, producing daily news pieces and features on the fastest growing, most dynamic area of the state. Cities and towns in the Southern Tier are dealing with steady population growth, expanding immigrant communities, shifting ties to the Boston economy and questions about how to preserve a sense of place amid rapid development. The opioid epidemic, one of the most important issues facing our state, will be a significant part of this beat. You’ll also contribute to our coverage of the 2020 New Hampshire presidential primary, which presents opportunities for filing national stories. You will also perform significant general assignment reporting throughout the state as needed.
We’re looking for a reporter with a broad range of skills: someone who will jump on breaking news, but also someone who has a passion for creative storytelling and exploring unexpected stories that touch our audience – both in Southern New Hampshire and statewide. The reporter will work from a home office and occasionally in our Concord, New Hampshire newsroom, and will report to the News Director.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state’s largest radio news service. NHPR’s newsroom, digital team and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner of the 2015, 2017 and 2018 National Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
- Gather, write and produce news reports both on-air and for digital distribution.
- Use initiative and source development to originate news. Ensure timely enterprise reporting.
- Stay up to date on issues important to Southern New Hampshire as well as local events.
- Develop new projects for NHPR News, including multi-part series and digital products, with a focus on journalism and storytelling that engages a new audience.
- Work varied shifts to meet news coverage demands, including breaking news, storm conditions and other appropriate coverage reasons.
- Utilize social media applications, such as Facebook, Twitter and others, to disseminate news to the NHPR audience.
- Participate in station fundraising, live appearances and sponsorship activities.
- Seek professional development opportunities and take initiative to learn new skills in reporting, on-air presentation and digital news production.
- A minimum of two years of reporting experience required. One year of broadcast journalism preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, radio script writing experience desirable.
- Demonstrated news judgment in recognizing the relative importance of a news story and in developing stories appropriately.
- Demonstrated initiative in developing sources to produce original news coverage.
- Ability to develop creative approaches to human interest coverage and feature stories.
- Passion and intuition for radio, a keen eye and ear for media trends and audience needs.
- Technologically versatile with willingness to expand skills. Multimedia skills, including experience in producing or editing digital media as well as audio is desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Working knowledge of New Hampshire and the region is desirable.
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations.
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience.
New Hampshire Public Radio believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/1146349.html