Assistant Editor/Designer #1813
- Summit Daily
Here at the Summit Daily News , we punch above our weight, producing award-winning, impactful journalism that seeks to hold authority accountable and strengthen the bonds of our communities. We live to tell the story of Summit County, where people from across the country come to worship the outdoors.
We re looking for an adventurous spirit with a love for mountain towns. Our Assistant Editor role is a combination of copy desk chief and magazines editor and is responsible for supporting the editor in a variety of newsroom functions. This position edits or rewrites copy, provides assignments & guidance to reporters and freelancers and coordinates layout with the copy desk.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Edits stories for accuracy, clarity, completeness, objectivity, grammar and spelling, organization, readability, and style.
- Writes clear and informative headlines.
- Designs pages in an attractive, organized and efficient manner.
- Helps oversee the summitdaily.com content so that it remains current, accurate and fresh.
- Coordinates with reporters, editors and photographers to ensure this consistency in style, tone, and quality.
- Performs detail-oriented, quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interacts professionally with other employees and customers.
- Works effectively as a team contributor on all assignments
- Works independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Engages with readers through Social Media posts on Facebook and Twitter during their shift.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism.
- At least one year of newsroom, print or on-line publication copy editing experience.
- Sound news judgment.
- A keen eye for errors of style and substance.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Strong design skills.
- Ability to communicate with team members regarding copy-editing needs.
- Familiar with concepts of web content management systems.
- Team oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and take pride in the details.
- Able to work evenings and weekends.
- At least one year of related software experience in Mac environment: InDesign, Photoshop.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.