Step Up For Students, a state-approved nonprofit scholarship funding organization that helps administer scholarships for Florida schoolchildren, is seeking a talented and motivated online reporter for its policy and public affairs blog, redefinED. The online reporter's beat will be K-12 education choice (charter schools, private schools, district magnet schools, tax credit scholarships and other voucher programs, education savings accounts, virtual schools and homeschooling) primarily in Florida but with an eye toward opportunities to connect state issues to national trends. The online reporter will write daily deadline blog posts and longer feature stories about schools, students, educators and families benefiting from school choice and will closely follow and write about legislation related to education choice. He or she must be skilled in interpreting education reports and capable of translating complex information into posts understandable by an educated public. The social media reporter must have experience producing content in podcast and video format and must excel in amplifying blog content using redefinED's social channels – Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. He or she must have a clear understanding of blog analytics and be able to compile reports and use data to drive additional content. Occasional travel will be required to report stories throughout the state. This is a full-time position located in Clearwater, Fla.
- Collaborate with other members of the Step Up For Students policy and public affairs team to stay abreast of the organization's overall and day-to-day messaging goals and objectives
- Identify top education choice news stories of the day and find angles that support Step Up's mission and goals, maintaining a running story list
- Write daily quick-hit posts off the news
- Write longer features pegged to the news to put a "face" on complex education issues
- Read and digest education research and reports and explain them via blog posts in ways that are understandable and engaging to redefinED's audience
- Write and produce multimedia content, including podcasts, that appeals to redefinED's key audiences
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms
The above is not an all-inclusive list of all duties performed by this job title, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent may be required to perform other additional duties as assigned.
This position requires a bachelor's degree in journalism or communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This position also requires a minimum of seven years' online journalism experience, preferably education related.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong command of grammar and AP style
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and ready for publication
- Thorough understanding of content targeted to specific audiences on social platforms
- Expertise using social media including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to enhance reporting and promote stories
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to collaborate with others
Step Up For Students believes strongly in two key core values, and it is the responsibility of all employees to demonstrate these values in their everyday work in order to maintain a positive and effective organizational culture.
Everyone is an asset.
Every event is an improvement opportunity.
This position regularly requires the abilities of sitting, fingering or manual dexterity, climbing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
This position is an office environment with very limited exposure to any outside fumes, odors, heat and/or weather conditions.