Deputy Features Editor
The Houston Chronicle is looking for a Deputy Features Editor to help lead the features staff of one of the largest news sites in the country. We want a creative journalist, a team player who understands what readers are interested in, someone who can confidently handle managing the team, coaching enterprise stories and promoting online journalism and social media.
- Help Senior Editor for Features lead the features staff.
- Be responsible for enterprise work for A1, as well as daily lifestyle stories.
- Keep our publishing schedule aligned with highest traffic and newsletter strategy. We want our best work to go out when readers on the premium site are ready for it.
- Plan and coach effectively. Set an example through social media posting.
- Work with writers and editors to produce Sunday Zest, our showcase section with the highest readership of the week.
- Tell interesting stories that are packaged and promoted in a way that resonates with readers.
- Help us find creative and visual ways to tell a story.
- Help Features Editor and Web Producer evaluate website traffic trends to help make decisions on daily posts and longer-term content development to grow local traffic.
- Work collaboratively. Lead by example.
- 5 years of experience in journalism, including editing and management.
- Organized problem solver and quick decision maker.
- Capable of editing and coaching news stories and features.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style.
- Ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Some schedule flexibility.
Contact: Melissa Aguilar, Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org