Arts Reporter/Digital Producer
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc., the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA-TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org. Art&Seek is KERA’s multiplatform arts, music and culture news service. KERA is seeking to hire a full-time arts reporter/digital producer for Art&Seek.
The Arts Reporter/Digital Producer works with the Art&Seek team, part of KERA’s expanded newsroom, and reports directly to the VP Arts. He/she will be responsible to write and produce newscast-length radio reports; write, edit and curate digital content for artandseek.org; curate social media streams and create video and multimedia content. The Arts Reporter/Digital producer will develop the Art&Seek website to its fullest potential as a resource for thoughtful arts journalism and event information.
The Arts Reporter/Digital Producer is a dynamic team player who excels in a quick-turnaround environment, but also can organize and execute long-range coverage plans and projects. This person is excited by the possibilities of public media and of the evolving arts landscape in Dallas-Fort Worth-Denton.
The ideal candidate is an insightful reporter, passionate about bringing the arts in North Texas to life for a broad audience. This person’s dream work week might include interviewing a famous architect, live Tweeting about a proposed city budget impact on the arts and introducing audiences to an emerging artist collective.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Produces radio and digital stories and projects for KERA FM and Art&Seek.org
• Updates the Art&Seek website regularly with breaking news, interviews and special features
• Curates and oversee visuals for the website, maximizing the site’s capacity for visual journalism, selecting and editing photos and relevant web video.
• Coordinates social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Embraces all of KERA’s platforms: two radio stations, TV, websites, blogs, social media streams and all other digital outlets. The primary goal: Distribute content as widely as possible, whenever and wherever potential news audiences exist.
• Maintains editorial standards to ensure high journalistic standards of accuracy, thoroughness, diversity, fairness and balance are met through all of KERA’s outlets.
• Keeps an active presence in the North Texas arts community and represent KERA/Art&Seek at professional and community meetings, and during on-air pledge drives.
• Other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, media or related field or equivalent.
• Experienced journalist with excellent writing, editing and reporting skills and demonstrated ability to create arts-related content for radio and digital platforms.
• Demonstrated news judgement; ability to generate and execute creative approaches to news stories
• Strong visual/aesthetic skills
• Ability to work both independently and with others under tight deadlines
• Ability to create social media content that stimulates conversation and engagement with KERA’s arts journalism.
• Flexibility and speed, with wide-ranging interests and a distinctive “voice.”
• Experience blogging and diving into social media, with active and enthusiastic Twitter and Facebook presence.
• Ability to work with internal and external content providers to create, edit and post a variety of digital media, including images, audio, video and animation.
• Sound news judgment and ability to generate factual, error-free copy quickly in breaking news situations.
• Strong content editing/proofreading skills, including knowledge of AP style.
• Passionate and enthusiastic about journalism, and emerging local arts opportunities in North Texas.
• Ability to connect with and maintain relationships with diverse communities and staff.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
• Deep knowledge of the arts in North Texas and around the state
• Radio experience
• Experience with audio/video editing
• Experience with sophisticated digital storytelling, video or podcasting
• Specialized knowledge in an arts genre (i.e. visual arts, classical music)
This job is located in an office environment in a cubicle area. In addition, this position is required to be out in the community, interviewing and researching stories in both indoor and outdoor settings. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; will also be called upon to walk; use hands and fingers to hold, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; talk; and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception with the ability to legally drive. The employee is sometimes required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a 1) resume; and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position; 3) state how you found out about this position; and 4) state the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax or paper cover letter. Thank you for your interest in KERA/KXT.
Submit this information as you prefer:
Email to: email@example.com
Fax to: (214) 740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201