Editorial Director, Religion
- William H. Sadlier, Inc.
Reports To: VP Religion
? Summary: Works with Vice President of Religion and Religion staff to manage editorial work and content development for Sadlier Religion products. Contributes to the development and implementation of the long- and short-term publishing plan, digital/print component planning, content re-use, and other strategic and growth initiatives.
- Establishes all budget costs in all proposals for digital/print products and reports such to VP and SVP Publishing
- Approves all content milestones in all proposals for digital/print products and reports such to VP
- Contributes to pre-implementation planning including, analysis of market research and assessment of competitors' products, creation of program plan including scope and sequence, lesson planning, content architecture, and other core program details, and completion of plans including prototyping, and all product and market research.
- Maintains Master Terms Agreements for all outside vendors, freelance, etc.
- Plans the editorial budget to maintain all aspects of the yearly and long-term budget that concern product development
- Approves editorial schedules, benchmarks, and budgets; manages and assigns editorial staff to specific programs/projects
- Manages editorial staff
- Works with editors to implement editorial print/digital product plans, monitor budgets and launch projects into production
- In collaboration with VP Religion, recruits, interviews, and hires new editorial staff members; trains (or provides for training of) editors
- Works with VP to plan and manage staffing plan, including vendor utilization
- Works closely with Program Manager to ensure timeline and preparation (for example, proper writing guidelines) in planning phase of program development result in optimal workflow and process, across digital and print publishing
- Works with Digital Media staff to ensure unified digital/print program plan, content development, and unified delivery.
- Identifies problems in content and recommends solutions so that all products can meet scheduled bound book and/or go live dates
- Ensures adherence to production schedules and informs VP/Program Manager if circumstances prevent meeting production deadlines.
- Monitors the quality of all manuscripts going through the implementation stages (digital and print)
- Maintains vendor and authoring network
- Assigns staff tasks and recruits outside writers, editors, vendors, etc. as necessary and budgeted for; approves the prepared service agreements for such
- Maintains departmental meeting to monitor content schedules for all Sadlier print and digital product, problem solving all pertinent issues/concerns
- Evaluates staff, pinpoints talent, and provides staff with opportunities for career growth
- Authorizes content development bills/invoices/expenses
Education, Experience, Skills Required:
- Five years (minimum) of editorial management experience in Religious Education publishing
- Background in religion education, for example, MA in Theology or Religious Education, Director of Religious Education, or similar background
- Knowledge of publishing processes, including print and digital production
- Experience managing staff working on-site and remotely
- Experience managing and planning departmental and project budgets
- Preferred experience working in K4 or similar
- Knowledge of the process/demands of tagging/digital schema creation
- Ongoing study/forecasting of digital content needs and procedures
Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.