- Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
Passion. Creativity. Integrity. Teamwork. Ambition. Innovation. These are the qualities that have made Wilson Sporting Goods Co. the number one sports equipment brand in the world. And these are the qualities that our global team embodies every day as we pursue one shared bold mission: to ignite the true potential in every athlete.
We know that great people are what makes our brand great. We know that teams who bring a variety of skill sets, experiences and perspectives to challenge the status quo and create game-changing product means we are doing right by the athletes and coaches we serve. And that's why we work with each member of our team to help them dream, discover, grow and realize their own full potential.
Evolving the sports world and being the best partner for players is no small task. We are continually looking to add hard-working, ambitious, team-first individuals who desire to make a difference -and who love to help others win. Join us.
What You'll Do
We are currently seeking a contract Junior Copywriter (Content and Marketing) to join our Team Sports Marketing Team and work directly with our Copywriter & Brand Strategist. We're seeking someone who is a creative, consumer-focused storyteller (with the ability to also speak B2B), who has a deep passion for the sports industry, and a particular obsession with football and basketball culture (the eat, sleep and breathe kind of obsession). This professional, detail-oriented, team player must have strong copywriting and editing skills and be able to drive content development for multiple marketing, sales and communications channels that support our Team Sports brands - football, basketball, volleyball and soccer.
The primary responsibility of the Junior Copywriter is to deliver compelling, avid athlete, coach, and fan-friendly copy across social media, wilson.com, email, e-tail channels, and our Wilson Live platform that adheres to and expresses our carefully curated brand voices. The goal of this role on our Marketing Team is to build the Wilson Sporting Goods brand audience through affinity, excitement and community.
The ideal candidate will be highly collaborative and business-minded, and able to function well in a deadline-driven environment. And, if you have a directly-related passion project - such as writing a blog, hosting a podcast or running an epic Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat account - that may just put you over the goal line.
Are you a basketball junkie? A regular at local pickup basketball games? Or, perhaps you are a retired-way-to-early High School or College athlete who thinks back longingly to two-a-day summer practice in pads? Are you a former (or current) basketball or football player who followed that same passion into a career in writing and advertising? If so, let's talk.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Translate Wilson's Team Sports brand voices across multiple channels and platforms for different and distinct audiences with the guidance of the Copywriter & Brand Strategist.
- Brainstorm, collaborate, and work cohesively with designers (both internal and external) and Marketing Team to execute the highest quality concepts and marketing/communications projects for the Team Sports division.
- Concept and write long-from content for the Wilson Brand Blog as well as Wilson's owned engagement platform, Wilson Live.
- Work closely with Social Media Specialist and Digital Content Manager to craft compelling social media content for football, basketball, and volleyball that aligns with overall brand voice, strategies, and objectives.
- Work with Product Managers to research and write complete and accurate product copy for omni-channel marketing materials, including, but not limited to print, digital and broadcast advertising, promotional campaigns, social media, catalogs, brochures, websites, email blasts, etc.
- Collaborate with marketing managers as well as R&D representatives to understand product features and benefits, product line strategy and business strategy, then write copy that delivers on these strategic focuses.
- Understand the demands of SEO to deliver copy that effectively utilizes key words and phrases seamlessly.
- Understand the difference between B2B and B2C to deliver targeted copy to unique audiences.
- Work on multiple concurrent projects, ensuring deliverables are achieved on time, while maintaining the highest standards of quality and creativity.
- Demonstrates initiative and ability to immerse themselves in the brand and develop a knowledge base of category differences, including sport vernacular and specific terminology for the variety of athletes/audiences.
- Proofread, edit, or rewrite existing copy as necessary.
- Continuously upgrade knowledge of brand marketing and stay current with sports and media business trends.
- Ensure legal and regulatory accuracy and compliance.
What We're Looking For
This role requires a Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Advertising, or a related area. We are looking for a candidate with between 1-2 years of strong experience in professional writing and editing in a marketing firm, ad agency, or equivalent in-house environment.
Other qualifications include:
- Exceptional writing skills, strong command of the English Language, and ability to use creativity in order to attract the targeted audience
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates an ability to write a mix of compelling shortform marketing copy and engaging long-form content
- Desire and ability to take balance a variety writing projects that range from traditional channels to social media to consumer-engagement apps
- Strong communication and social skills with the ability to build collaborative relationships with executives, general managers, business directors, the marketing team and other co-workers
- Exceptional ability to immerse in the brand and develop a knowledge base of category differences, including sport vernacular and specific terminology for the variety of athletes/audiences
- Strong attention to detail; and initiative
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects, ensuring deliverables are achieved on time, while maintaining the highest standards of quality and creativity
- Experience writing for e-tail environemts and channels like Amazon
Amer Sports is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.