The Podcast Executive Producer will oversee editorial and content production for ESPN's Original Talk podcasts. Those podcasts are both sports and talent driven. Top candidates for this role will demonstrate curiosity, strong journalistic skills, creative production and team leadership skills. The role requires an editorial and production leader with a creative and inclusive approach to content development, who can drive the vision and execution of ESPN's Original Talk podcasts. The ideal candidate is a talented writer/storyteller who has a proven track record for developing talent, producing high-quality content, launching new initiatives, innovation, problem-solving and is experienced working in a deadline-oriented environment. He/she will develop efficient daily workflow/process, the short and long-range content strategy, and sales integrations at the episode, title, and podcast vertical levels. The Podcast Executive Producer communicates expectations and delivers feedback to talent and staff. He/she will oversee and manage direct reports and ESPN's original talk podcast portfolio. Responsibilities will include related strategic plans, operational tasks and assignments.
ESPN's original talk podcasts will showcase ESPN talent and content by bringing ESPN's strong reporting, deep insights, context, analysis and storytelling from ESPN's well sourced reporters and editors in a format that is best suited for audio.
- Leads a team for the planning and production of a podcast Network that includes 30+ titles of originally produced podcasts.
- Articulates vision and sets agenda for short and long range content planning.
- Drives the creative conception and development of editorial content from ideation to execution.
- Proposes, greenlights, assigns, and participates in the development and editing of original podcast content across key sport verticals.
- Collaborates with talent, key producers and editors across ESPN teams to ensure the depth and breadth of ESPN reporting and storytelling is represented in the podcast content.
- Reports, produces and creates exceptional quality program segments and episodes that are consistent with the content, quality and production standards and practices of ESPN. Understands and executes ESPN content priorities in planning show rundowns and integrating with other ESPN platforms.
- Ability to "think deep" and produce enterprising sports-related stories and features that go beyond the headlines and typical sports reporting.
- Conducts daily and weekly editorial meetings and maintains editorial workflow systems, both within the team and within ESPN
- Develops relationships throughout ESPN with other stakeholders and divisions.
- Insures that standards are maintained on all episodes, including production standards as well as standards of fairness, objectivity and balance. Ensures that journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Reviews content, quality and production of program segments by staff, contributors, and freelancers to ensure consistency with the same standards and practices.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of relevant sports stories and newsmakers; books relevant guests for program appearances accordingly.
- Coordinates tracking edit/personnel schedules.
- Collaborates on budget development and implements approved budget for programs, making changes as necessary to meet financial goals.
- Cultivate relationships with prospective talent and partners.
- Recruits and develops podcast studio talent. Provides creative and editorial guidelines to hosts and guests to enrich the quality of programming.
- Works with host and producers on interview questions, strategy and techniques.
- Coaches reporters and editors to strengthen conversational storytelling skills.
- Coordinates all aspects of production, post-production, and program distribution.
- Supervises the compiling and editing of production materials necessary for all relevant platforms. Works with colleagues engaged in similar productions in the development of compelling cross-promotional content. Ensures that the productions follow format and procedural guidelines; supervises and tracks all sales executions and promotions.
- Will work with sales and marketing to develop sales and marketing strategies for the podcast, as well as ensuring placement and execution of commercials and relevant promotional announcements at the episode level. Contributes ideas for sales opportunities. Coordinates with marketing team around key events, from planning to execution as well as in regular promotion of the show on internal platforms (TV/Radio) as well as with external distribution partners (Apple, Google, etc).
- Leverage data/analytics/user testing to inform decisions. Demonstrates strong understanding of production principles designed to drive audio consumption across various platforms including but not limited to podcast downloads. Some titles may be presented on other platforms such as social media, smart speakers, or digital video and will have similar expected metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 8 years of radio/audio production and thorough knowledge of writing and audio production, producing original audio content and managing a team.
- Deep passion and knowledge in a wide range of subject areas related to sports.
- Extensive knowledge of podcasting and digital audio industry.
- Strong familiarity with ESPN content across all platforms.
- Experience in team management.
- Demonstrated writing ability.
- Must have a strong understanding of how to operate audio hardware, software, and facilities.
- Demonstrated digital editing expertise using ProTools audio editing software.
- Must have strong skills in the area of social media/listener engagement.
- A knowledge and/or understanding of digital listening trends.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thrives in team setting.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor's Degree