Job Description – Managing Editor
The Company – We are a global media company with news and events properties in the blockchain/bitcoin space.
The Opportunity – Our Company is looking for a Managing Editor to directly supervise the day to day operation of the publication as it grows to become a full-fledged global and multi-language news organization. The ideal candidate is an excellent editor with acute attention to details skills, highly organized and a strong overall manager. The ideal candidate must have a proven track record of leading teams in producing up to the minute breaking news and ambitious features and investigative stories.
You’ll work with the Editor-in-Chief and Foreign Language Bureau Chiefs across the globe to reimagine a technology news site and build it from the ground up under and already established brand.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and manage daily editorial operations of a branded technology news site.
- Hire and manage a team of freelance/contributing writers, designers, videographers, etc., including assigning and commissioning content planning schedules and enforcing deadlines; and evaluating performance
- Run the daily editorial plan, coordinate with all section editors to optimize the mix of stories published each day.
- Maintain a database of freelancers and oversee the monthly editorial and freelance budgets.
- Build and manage the editorial calendar of news and conference events throughout the year.
- Edit content to ensure it meets Springboard standards and is compelling for our audience
- Create content yourself, too, from time to time!
- Work closely with SEO lead to create keyword-focused content from each vertical based on research
- Collaborate with Content Strategy Lead to generate new story ideas related to the subjects we teach, and to maintain our consolidated editorial calendar
- Work with team and freelancers to ensure all content is supported with relevant imagery, resources, and other important assets
- Have a background in journalism and possess incredibly strong writing and editing skills
- The ability to recognize great writing and quality content; ability to deliver content that tops the competitors
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines, responding to breaking news as it occurs in a 24-hour cycle.
- Are highly organized and able to manage multiple moving parts, including freelancers, contributors, designers, videographers, and more
- High levels of integrity and initiative, and a principled passion for technology and journalism
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse team of writers and editors of varying skill levels.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.