Assistant Editor, Video Strategy
The Poynter Institute is looking for a creative digital storyteller to assist in developing video strategies at three pilot newsrooms to better reach young audiences.
The assistant editor will work closely with the project manager and other Poynter staff to help three local news organizations across the country over 12 months to create low-cost, engaging social media video specifically tailored to younger audiences.
This role will support the team in managing daily editorial and engagement activities, which will vary given the needs of each newsroom. In some cases, you may be offering feedback to producers on video concepts and platform best practices. At other times, you might be helping to write scripts or assisting with video edits. And still at other times, you’ll be addressing technical or logistical challenges of the local partners.
The best person for this position is someone who is flexible, organized, can work well with teams remotely, and has a strong background in online video. You’ll work with the team in developing and maintaining editorial best practices and audience engagement strategy.
A bit about the logistics of the job: This position is funded by a grant for one-year, and we’re looking to have someone in place in November (so apply now!). We strongly prefer a candidate who can work at our offices in Washington, D.C. or St. Petersburg, Fla. The pay for the position is $60,000, and includes benefits.
- Working with the project manager and the local newsrooms to develop testable video content and grow audiences, particularly on YouTube
- Assisting with writing, video editing, and strategic thinking during the content development process
- Supporting the creation of promotional assets and channel engagement strategy
- Overseeing platform publishing including metadata requirements and operational settings
- Working on marketing and social media engagement plans for publishing partners
- Helping to coordinate and execute in-person events to increase reach and audience
- Tracking analytics for individual episodes and across series
Who’s a good fit? The ideal candidate has the following skills and experience:
- Experience producing and editing digital video for social platforms, especially for YouTube
- Ability to contribute thoughtful, actionable feedback on series concepts and video content
- Knowledge of YouTube and Facebook platform, publishing workflow, content trends, and backend analytics
- Positive attitude, excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to thrive in an independent work environment
- Solid organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Willingness to take on a variety of tasks, work collaboratively, and perform other duties as assigned
- Travel to partner newsrooms is likely.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: December 2, 2019
No phone calls, please.