U.S. News & World Report is seeking a digitally-savvy editor to assist in the daily editing workflow for the News/Civic section.
The News/Civic section produces journalism that helps engaged citizens, policymakers, thought leaders and business decision makers better understand their communities, their governments and the world around them, through a combination of rigorous data analysis, reporting and compelling narrative. The section produces the Best Countries, Best States and Healthiest Communities annual rankings franchises as well as America 2020, coverage of the ongoing presidential campaign.
This full-time position involves assigning, editing and producing daily content on a variety of news topics. Knowledge of politics and policy at the federal and state levels is required.
The ideal candidate should be able to work with a passionate team of editors, writers, web producers, freelancers, photo editors and data analysts. The ideal candidate will be asked to juggle myriad tasks in a fast-paced journalism environment. The position is based in the U.S. News office in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
- 3+ years of professional online news editing experience.
- Strong editing, writing, research and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of national and state politics as well as familiarity with health care, national security, education and economics.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple stories simultaneously while meeting strict deadlines.
- Strong understanding of SEO.
- Familiarity with content management systems, web production and social media.
- College degree or equivalent.
Applicants must provide a résumé and cover letter.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare, vision, dental, and 401(k) plan.