- National Athletic Trainers'? Association
We have a full-time managing editor position available within our dynamic organization. We are seeking a professional with at least four years of relevant experience in journalism who also holds a bachelor's degree in mass communications or journalism. The ideal candidate would be comfortable managing the day-to-day workflow of building our publications portfolio, including writing, compiling and editing content for our monthly membership magazine, our quarterly legal digest, our convention-related publications and any other special publishing projects. The ideal candidate will be comfortable writing both long and short pieces for the magazine while also producing copy for our blog, website, social media and e-newletters. Candidates should be comfortable writing in different styles, including news and features. The ability to produce copy under time constraints and adhere to tight deadlines is imperative. Candidates interested in applying must be proficient in AP style.
Must have experience using the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign) is a plus. Preference will be given to those candidates with previous experience working on a magazine or writing for health or sports publications.
The managing editor will use all communication vehicles in the course of duties and should have a strong working knowledge of each channel, including print, Web, video, social media and other communication tools.
- Coordinate projects for all NATA publications under guidance from the communications manager, ensuring we meet production deadlines.
- Oversee core sections of the monthly magazine, including content compilation, writing, editing, and planning.
- Act as a primary editor on all NATA publications.
- Oversee NATA's design firm projects focusing on the design for our print and digital publications.
- Serve as one of NATA's primary bloggers for our website and e-newsletters.
- Expand and oversee targeting communications program.
- Provide support to media sales by uploading ads, coordinating run sheets, and idea creation.
- Serve as staff liaison to one or more NATA volunteer committees.
The NATA News is the award-winning magazine of the National Athletic Trainers' Association, the professional membership association for certified athletic trainers and others who support the athletic training profession. More than 45,000 athletic trainers read the NATA News each month to read the latest news in athletic training and sports medicine.
The National Athletic Trainers' Association is the professional membership association for certified athletic trainers and others who support the athletic training profession. Please visit for more information.
We provide a full complement of benefits including generous leave policies and benefit money provided by NATA to be utilized toward a benefit package that makes sense for each individual employee. We also offer a 401(k) and pension plan, wellness and fitness benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional development, and flextime.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume with cover letter and salary requirements.