Senior Corporate and Executive Writer
Summary of Major Responsibilities
Exact Sciences is building a world-class team that brings forward-thinking ideas and innovative solutions to the way our company and leaders communicate. Our continued growth demands the highest quality writing that reaches targeted audiences and effectively conveys the mission, vision and impact of Exact Sciences.
As a critical member of the Corporate Affairs team, the Senior Corporate and Executive Writer will exemplify our core value of quality by developing and ensuring the highest standards for written content. This includes executive thought leadership materials, corporate briefings and announcements, and social media posts, among others. S/he will blend a mix of experience engaging senior executives to deliver leadership content with day-to-day copy editing and quality control.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Write, edit and produce a range of high-quality written materials, including but not limited to executive speeches, columns, memos, social media posts, corporate presentations and announcements.
- Engage directly with senior executive team to convey their voice to targeted audiences while ensuring the messages align with our corporate priorities and brand standards.
- Serve as the lead writer and maintain message consistency during large-scale announcements to produce and coordinate messages for a range of audiences.
- Ensure all written content adheres to Exact Sciences medical affairs, regulatory, legal and compliance guidelines.
- Copy edit all external corporate content for style, grammar and tone; where necessary, fact-check content for accuracy.
- Develop and oversee a quality control process for all corporate writing content.
- Work with internal stakeholders or leaders to develop the strategic purpose for major pieces of writing and presentation of materials.
- Keep abreast of industry and regulatory developments, as well as internal initiatives.
- Exceptional writing skills and the ability to write clearly for a variety of audiences, including press releases, executive columns and similar articles.
- Experience understanding corporate communications strategies, corporate priorities and approval processes.
- Proficient in AP Style and an ability to communicate clearly and effectively while adhering to brand standards for tone and style.
- Experience working collaboratively with executives to define their communication priorities and the ability to craft those communications.
- A collaborative mindset and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work quickly and under pressure when news needs to be communicated to multiple audiences.
- Self-starter who is comfortable developing content and ensuring it’s approved for internal and/or external use.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and interpersonal skills, along with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to manage long-term projects thoroughly and on time, including those with unique requests and expectations
Education and Experience
- Candidate must possess a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in journalism, corporate communications, or similar writing position.
- BA or BS in English, Communications, Public Relations or similar discipline is preferred.
- Experience in storytelling and/or at a mission-driven organization is desirable.
- Evidence of consistent professional progression throughout career.
- Strong business acumen with demonstrated ability to connect business objectives and communications strategies.
- Experience in providing strategic communications counsel to senior executives and demonstrated courage to challenge positions and influence outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal/listening and oral/written communication skills.
- History of working for fast growing companies; experience managing and driving several projects simultaneously.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all organizational levels.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word and PowerPoint, is required.
- Experience working in or engaging with the health care industry is preferred.
- Some travel will be required.
- Must be willing to travel and be responsive/available after hours and on weekends, as necessary.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.